Welcome to the Munich Workshop on Causal Inference and Information Theory (MCI) on May 23rd & 24th 2016
Causal inference (including measures of causality, causal modeling, and structure learning), has received considerable attention in the recent years from researchers in information theory, economics, philosophy, and machine learning. The goal of this workshop is to bring together outstanding researchers from these areas in order to discuss possible interconnections between their viewpoints and approaches.
- Elias Bareinboim (Purdue University)
- Frederick Eberhardt (Caltech)
- Michael Eichler (Maastricht University)
- Dominik Janzing (Max-Planck-Institute, Tuebingen)
- Young-Han Kim (University of California, San Diego)
- Haim Permuter (Ben Gurion University)
- Christopher Quinn (Purdue University)
- Thomas Richardson (University of Washington)
- Shohei Shimizu (Osaka University)
|Monday, May 23rd|
|09:00-09:15||Opening Remarks by Gerhard Kramer|
|Practical Considerations in Causal Discovery: Confounders, Time-Varying Causal Relations, and Selection Bias|
|10:00-10:45||Chris Quinn||Learning and Approximating (Granger) Causal Influences in Networks|
|11:00-11:45||Young-Han Kim||How to Learn Probability without Learning|
|11:45-12:30||Shohei Shimizu||A non-Gaussian Model for Causal Discovery in the Presence of Hidden Common Causes|
|12:30-14:30||Lunch Break |
Table booked (20 px) at Pizzeria Coccinella, ~7,50 Euro per pizza
|14:30-15:15||Haim Permuter||Causal Conditioning and Directed Information in Engineering Problems|
|15:15-16:00||Michael Eichler||Causal Inference from Multivariate Time Series: Principles and Problems|
|16:15-17:00||Thomas Richardson||Learning Causal Structure in the Presence of Hidden Variables|
|17:00-18:00||Discussion led by Negar Kiyavash|
|19:00-||Table booked (30 px) at Max Emanuel, a local brewery with a nice beergarden|
|Tuesday, May 24th|
|09:15-10:00||Frederick Eberhardt||Generalized Constraint Based Causal Discovery and Causal Macro-Variables|
|10:00-10:45||Dominik Janzing||Algorithmic Independence of Cause and Mechanism as a Common Footing of Thermodynamics and Causal Inference|
|11:00-11:45||Elias Bareinboim||Causal Inference and the Data-Fusion Problem|
|11:45-12:30||Discussion led by Kun Zhang|
- Metro map Munich.
- Airport to Hotel Königswache: use S8 to Herrsching. Get off at Hauptbahnhof and take the U2 to Feldmoching. Get off at Theresienstraße and walk to Hotel Königswache. We recommend the Airport-City-Day-Ticket since it allows you to use the public transport in Munich during the whole day.
- You can also walk from Hauptbahnhof to Hotel Königswache.
- Walk from Hotel Königswache to the LNT.
- At the LNT, take the elevator or stairs to the 2nd floor. The talks will be given in the seminar room N2408.
The workshop features invited talks only, attendance is free of charge. If you are interested in attending, please send an email to email@example.com.