Awards and Invited Talks
- Invited speaker at the European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC) 2023
- Invited speaker at 23rd International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks ICTON 2023
- Invited speaker at IEEE Future Optical Networks and Communications Symposium 2022: Cost-efficient multi-period optical network planning: alternatives and analysis
- Keynote speaker at RNDM 2022 Impact of Software Availability on System Reliability
- Invited speaker at ONDM 2022: Towards Regeneration in Flexible Optical Network
- Invited speaker at Lifi Conference 2022 on Techno-economic analysis and planning issues for LiFi solutions
- Invited speaker at OFC 2022: N3: Long-term Capacity Planning in Flexible Optical Transport Networks
- Best Paper Award at the IEEE International Conference on Network of the Future (NoF) 2021 for the paper "Delay-Aware Dynamic Hypervisor Placement and Reconfiguration in Virtualized SDN" Saquib Amjad, Amir Varasteh, Nemanja Deric and Carmen Mas-Machuca
- Keynote speaker at IEEE NFV-SDN 2020 Conference
- Invited speaker for the 2020 Ruzena Bajcsy Lecture
- Best Paper Award at the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2018 for the paper “Routing Metrics Depending on Previous Edges: The Mn Taxonomy and its Corresponding Solutions“ co-authored by Amaury Van Bemten, Jochen W. Guck, Carmen Mas Machuca, and Wolfgang Kellerer.
- Best Paper Award at DRCN 2018 for the paper "Robust SDN Controller Placement to Malicious Node Attacks" authored by Dorabella Santos, Amaro de Sousa, and Carmen Mas Machuca
- Distinguished Talk Award of NATO IST-153 Workshop (2017) for the paper "Resilience and Security in Software Defined Networking" authored by Carmen Mas Machuca, Petra Vizarreta, Raphael Durner and Jacek Rak.
- Vertiefungsstufe Zertifikat Hochschullehre der Bayerischen Universitäten (2016)
- IEEE Senior Member (2012)
- TUM Presidential Award (2008) for the outstanding results obtained in the frame of the BMBF "EIBONE” project about optical core networks
- Personal EPFL presidential Award (1999) for the outstanding results obtained in the frame of the EU “COBNET” project on optical access networks
Tasks at Journals and Conferences
- TPC Co-Chair of ICIN 2024
- TPC Co-Chair ONDM 2023
- TPC Chair of NetSoft 2022
- Guest Editor of IEEE COMMAG Feature topic on "Techno-Economic Analysis of Telecommunications Systems"
- Guest Editor of Annals of Telecommunications special issue on "5G Network Energy Consumption, Energy Efficiency and Environmental Impact" 2022
- Workshop Chair of ONDM 2022
- Guest Editor for IEEE TNSM on "Design and Management of Reliable Communication Networks" Since April 2021
- General Co-Chair of NoF 2021
- TPC Chair of ONDM 2021
- AI-NET-PROTECT Workshop organizer at ONDM2021
- Chair of IEEE ICTON Workshop “Green Optical Communications” since 2011
- Co-Chair of IEEE ICTON Workshop “Reliability Issues in Next Generation Optical Networks” collocated since 2010
- Chair of 12th CTTE 2015 (Conference of Telecommunication, Media and Internet Techno-Economics), Munich, Germany, 9th-10th November 2015
- Co-Chair of 7th RNDM 2015 (International Workshop on Reliable Networks Design and Modelling), Munich, Germany, 5th-7th October 2015
- Guest Editor of the Journal of Networks special issue on transparent optical networks (Vol. 7, No 5, pp. 755-756, May 2012)
- Workshop “Network Operation cost modeling” at Globecom 2009
- Co-chair of Workshop “Operation Expenditures (OpEx) Studies” at ECOC 2007
- "Optical Networks" (Summer Semester sine 2006)
- "Techno-Economic Analysis of Telecommunication Networks" (Winter Semester since 2013)
- "Communication Network Reliability" (Summer Semester since 2015)
- "Seminar on Topics in Communications Networking" (Winter Semester since 2013)
Lecture on "Converged access network planning" at the EU 5GSTEPFWD School, in Göteborg, Sweden (February 2020).
Course on “Software Reliability” at the Training School on Design of Disaster-resilient Communication Networks in Brussels, Belgium (December 2019).
Lectures on "Optical Networks" at Master in Enginyería Informàtica at the Universitat de Girona (UdG), Spain (Winter Semester 2017)
- Seminars on optical networks and techno-economic studies at three universities in Valparaiso: Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV), Universidad Adolfo Ibañez (UAI) and Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (UTFSM), Chile (March 2016)
- Lectures on "Techno-Economical Studies in Telecommunication Networks" at the Master of Science in Information and Communication Technologies at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Spain (Summer Semester 2011)
- Lectures on "Packet Switching and Computer networks" at the MSc in Information Networking AIT-Carnegie Mellon University, Greece campus (Summer Semesters 2003 and 2004)
- Lectures on "Optical networks" at the MSc in Information Networking AIT-Carnegie Mellon University, Greece campus (Summer Semesters 2003 and 2004)
- IoTalentum External Advisory Board member
- DFG Reviewer, 2020.
- Ph.D. thesis of Nima Afraz "Techno-economics of Optical Access Network Sharing", Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, May 2020.
- NSERC (Canada) External Reviewer, December 2019.
- H2020 (EU) Evaluator Expert, 2018.
- Ph.D. thesis of Raimena Veisllari "Performance and Control of Integrated Hybrid Optical Networks", NTNU, Norway, September 2016.
- Ph.D. thesis of Jonas Wäfler "Modeling and Analysis of Dependability and Interdependency Failures in Smart Grids", NTNU, Norway, June 2016.
- Ph.D. thesis of Eduardo Tommy López Pastor "WDM/TDM PON Bidirectional Networks Single-Fiber/Wavelength RSOA-based ONUs Layer 1/2 Optimization", UPC, Spain, October 2013.
- Ph.D. thesis of Andreas Javier González Martínez "Methods for Guaranteeing Contracted Availability in Connection Oriented Networks", NTNU, Norway, March 2013.
- Ph.D. thesis of Josep Segarra Mullerat "Optical Burst Switched Access networks with Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation", UPC, Spain, November 2008.
- GBOU (Generisch Basisonderzoek aan de Universiteiten) research projects in the region of Flanders, 2001.
- Coordinator of the TUM Center of Competence COMMUNICATION (CoC COM) (since October 2020)
- Technical Program Committee member at:
- IEEE ICC 2017 Optical Networks and Systems Symposium (ONS) since 2009
- International Conference on Telecommunication (ICT) since 2017
- Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP) since 2010
- International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON) since 2005
- Conference of Telecommunication, Media and Internet Techno-Economics CTTE since 2008
- Optical Network Design and Modeling (ONDM) since 2010
- Smart Communications in Network Technologies (SaCoNet) 2012, 2013
- Conference on Networks and Optical Communications (NOC) since 2012
- Workshop on "New Trends in Optical Networks Survivability" as a part of the International Conference of Communication (ICC) 2012
- IEEE International Conference of Communication (ICC) 2013 - Optical Networks and Systems.
- Technical reviewer at several journals such as IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, the IEEE Communications Letters Journal, Computer Networks Journal, Computer Communications, Optical and Quantum Electronics, Optical Switching and Networking.
- Session Chair at different conferences (e.g. “Access networks“ session at NOC2012, Workshop on All-Optical Routing at ICTON 2010, CTTE 2012, and APC2011)