- Delphi: Computing the Maximum Achievable Throughput in SD-RAN Environments. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, 2023, 1-1 more…
- Towards Optimized Demand Routing in QKD Networks. Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC) 2023, Optica Publishing Group, 2023 more…
- Availability and Throughput Evaluation of Optical Based High Throughput Satellite Networks. 2023 19th International Conference on the Design of Reliable Communication Networks (DRCN), IEEE, 2023 more…
Welcome to the
Chair of Communication Networks
Communication networks provide a cross cutting function and a critical infrastructure for all disciplines in todays information society. Research and teaching of the Chair of Communication Networks (in German: Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze, LKN) focus on methods and systems for mobile and fixed communication networks as an infrastructure for future Internet communication. Our core competences are architectural concepts, control and management mechanisms, self-organization principles, methods for optimization and performance evaluation as well as techno-economic analysis.
On our website, we present an overview of our current research activities and selected results. More details can be found on the individual home page of each researcher.
LKN is a member of the compentence centers COMMUNICATION, and ROBOTICS .
Prof. Kellerer is member of the Board of Directors of the TUM/LMU Center for Digital Technology and Management (CDTM).
Research Video Channel
To address the dynamic change in communication networks regarding strongly increasing bandwidth requirements, extremely low latencies and high resilience (keywords include here: "6G" and "Tactile Internet"), novel methods and algorithms as well as concepts for protocols and network architectures are required. Concepts also encompass semantic communication, quantum networks and molecular communication.
Current research areas include
- Flexible, dynamic networking and autonomous network management based on Software Defined Networking/P4 and Network Virtualization
- Resource management in wireless networks: Software-defined RAN, machine-type communication, wireless sensor networks
- Network planning, resilience and techno-economic analysis of converged networks
Please see details on our research page.
We offer the following courses:
- 2 B.Sc. lectures: Communication Networks, Internet Communication (in German)
- 8 M.Sc. lectures: Data Networking, Analysis, Modeling and Simulation of Communication Networks, Optical Networks, Network Planning, Techno-Economic Analysis of Telecommunication Networks, Communication Network Reliability, Communication Networks Modeling and Optimization (new!)
- 4 lab courses: Wireless Sensor Networks, Programmable Networks Lab (replaces SDN-Lab), Industrie 4.0, Tactile Internet Lab
- 4 seminars
We offer several Bachelor and Master Thesis projects in each semester, as well as projects for "Ingenieurpraxis" and "Forschungspraxis". If you are interested, please see our topics list contact a member of the research staff or Prof. Kellerer.
Together with the Chair of Media Technology (Prof. Dr.-Ing. Eckehard Steinbach), we form a research and teaching unit.