Thomas Wiegart received the B.Sc. degree (with distinction) and the M.Sc. degree (with high distinction) in electrical engineering from Technical University of Munich (TUM) in 2015 and 2018, respectively.
He is currently working towards the doctoral degree at the TUM Institute for Communications Engineering under the supervision of Prof. Gerhard Kramer. His research interests include information theory, channel coding, probabilistic shaping, and optical communications.
Mr. Wiegart was the recipient of the Walter Gademann Price in 2016 for his Bachelor thesis, and he received an Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award from the student representatives of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, TUM in 2020.
- Nachrichtentechnik 1 (Digital Communications) [summer terms 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022]
- Basic Laboratory Course on Telecommunications [summer and winter terms 2018/19, 2019, 2019/20, 2020, 2020/21, 2021, 2021/22, 2022]
- Communications Laboratory [winter terms 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22]
- Machine Learning for Communications [winter term 2020/21]
Theses in Progress
Probabilistic Shaping with Low-Density Graph Codes and Message Passing
probabilistic shaping, ldpc, ldgm, belief propagation
In this thesis we will use and develop practical algorithms for lossy source coding (a.k.a. quantization or compression) to construct a probabilistic shaping scheme based on low-density graph codes.
Shaped Incremental Redundancy HARQ using Polar Codes
polar coding, probabilistic shaping, harq, wireless
The aim of the thesis is to construct a hybrid ARQ coding scheme which employs probabilistic shaing. For both individual concepts, the structure of polar codes provides an amenable fundament. This makes a polarization-based coding scheme an interesting candidate to fuse HARQ with shaping.
- Achievable Rates for Short-Reach Fiber-Optic Channels with Direct Detection. IEEE/OSA J. Lightw. Technol., 2022 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Successive Interference Cancellation for Fiber-Optic Channels with Direct Detection. Submitted to Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2022 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Comparison of PAM-6 Modulations for Short-Reach Fiber-Optic Links with Intensity Modulation and Direct Detection. European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC) 2022, 2022 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Multilevel Binary Polar-Coded Modulation Achieving the Capacity of Asymmetric Channels. IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT), 2022Espoo, Finland more… Full text ( DOI )
- Invertible low-divergence coding. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 68 (1), 2022, 178-192 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Experiments on Bipolar Transmission with Direct Detection. European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC) 2022, 2022 more… Full text ( DOI )
- PAM-6 Coded Modulation for IM/DD Channels with a Peak-Power Constraint. International Symposium on Topics in Coding (ISTC) 2021, 2021 more…
- Asymmetric Signalling using Polar Codes. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Communications Systems Laboratory, 2021 more…
- Signalling for Fiber-Optic Channels with Direct Detection. Ferienakademie 2021: Advanced Topics in Information Theory and Communications, 2021 more…
- Probabilistically Shaped 4-PAM for Short-Reach IM/DD Links with a Peak Power Constraint. Journal of Lightwave Technology 39 (2), 2021 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Recovering the Phase in DD Receivers with Oversampling: A Toy Example. Huawei Joint Lab Workshop, 2021 more…
- Research Activities at LNT. 2019 Workshop of the Centre of Excellence for Silicon Photonics for Optical Communications (SPOC), 2019 more…
- Shaping for Intensity Modulation with Direct Detection. 2019 Workshop on Coding, Cooperation, and Security in Modern Communication Networks (COCO), 2019 more…
- Design of Polar Codes for Parallel Channels with an Average Power Constraint. IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, 2019 more…
- Shaping for Asymmetric Channels using Polar Codes. 2019 Munich Doctoral Seminar on Communications, 2019 more…
- Shaped On-Off Keying Using Polar Codes. IEEE Communication Letters 23 (11), 2019 more… Full text ( DOI )
- Close-to-Optimal Partial Decode-and-Forward Rate in the MIMO Relay Channel via Convex Programming. 20th International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA 2016), 2016 more…