Prof. Dr.-Ing. Sami Haddadin
Date and place of birth: June 26, 1980 in Neustadt am Rübenberge, Germany
More than 200 books / publications
h-Index: 48, No. citations: 12.523
More than 120 invited national and international lectures
More than 50 patents
Awards and honors
Science and art exhibitions
- Since 04/2018 Chair of Robotics and Systems Intelligence and Executive Director of the Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI), Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany
- 2016 / 2017 Offers from Stanford University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- 2014 - 2017 Professor at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Director of the Institute of Control Engineering at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover, Germany
- 2016 - Founder of Franka Emika GmbH, Munich, Germany www.franka.de
- 2014 - 2016 CEO & Founder of KBee AG, Munich, Germany
- 2012 - 2014 CEO & Founder of Kastanienbaum GmbH, Munich
- 2013 - 2014 Project leader "Terrestrial Assistance Robotics" at the Robotics and Mechatronics Centre, Oberpfaffenhofen, German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- 2012 - 2014 Scientific Coordinator "Human-Centered Robotics" at the Robotics and Mechatronics Centre, Oberpfaffenhofen, German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- 2011 - 2013 Visiting Scientist and Scientific Advisor at Willow Garage, Menlo Park, USA
- 2011 - 2012 Group Leader "Human-Robot Interaction" at the Robotics and Mechatronics Center, German Aerospace Center (DLR), Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany
- 2011 Guest scientist at Stanford University with Prof. Oussama Khatib, Palo Alto, USA
- 2010 - 2011 Coordinator "Human-Robot Interaction" at the Robotics and Mechatronics Centre, German Aerospace Centre, Oberpfaffenhofen
- 2010 - 2013 Lecturer at Technische Universität München (TUM)
- 2005 - 2013 Scientist at the Robotics and Mechatronics Centre (Prof. Hirzinger), German Aerospace Center (DLR), Oberpfaffenhofen
- 2006 - 2011 Dissertation at the RWTH Aachen University, Germany, summa cum laude, Committee: Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Roßmann, Hon.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gerd Hirzinger. Title: "Towards Safe Robots: Approaching Asimov's 1st Law"
- 2006 - 2009 Master's degree in Informatics at the Technical University Munich - Degree: M.Sc. Informatics
- 2005 - 2008 Elite Graduate Program Technology Management at the Center for Digital Technology and Management in the Elite Network Bavaria at the Technical University Munich, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich - Honors Degree
- 2002 - 2005 Diploma program in electrical engineering and computer engineering at Technische Universität München - Degree: Dipl.-Ing. Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- 2001 - 2002 Erasmus Scholarship for Electrical Engineering at the University of Oulu, Finland
- 2001 - 2006 Diploma program in Computer Science with minor in Medical Computer Science at the Distant University Hagen
- 1999 - 2001 Diploma program in Electrical Engineering at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University of Hanover
- 1999 Abitur secondary school in Stolzenau, Lower Saxony
- Since 2021, member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Since 2020 Chairman of the Bavarian AI Council
- Since 2019, member of National Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech) since 2019
- 2019 - 2021, member of Zukunftsrat der Bayerischen Wirtschaft (Council of the Future Bavarian Economy)
- 2019 - 2020, member of Kommission Niedersachsen 2030 (Lower Saxony Commission)
- 2018 - 2020, Expert Member of the the Study Commission (dt. Enquete-Kommission) "Artificial Intelligence – Social Responsibility and Economic, Social and Ecological Potential", German Parliament.
- Since 2018, member of the EU High-Level Expert Group on "Artificial Intelligence"
- 2018 - 2019, member of the EU High-Level Industrial Roundtable "Industry 2030"
Find all patents on Justia , DEPATISnet, and GooglePatents
- Haddadin, S (2017) Vorrichtung und Verfahren zur Steuerung und Regelung eines Roboter-Manipulators (DE 10 2015 102 642 B4). Deutsches Patent und Markenamt. URL: https://www.dpma.de/docs/postergalerieneu/patentschriften/041taktilerroboter_samihadadin_de102015102642b4.pdf (retrieved on 01.06.2021)
- Haddadin, S (2021) Prosthesis (10952876). Justia Patents. URL: https://patents.justia.com/patent/10952876 (retrieved on 01.06.2021)
- Kühn, J., Bagnato, C., Burdet, E., Haddadin S. Arm movement adaptation to concurrent pain constraints. Scientific Reports 11, 6792 (2021).
- M. Tröbinger et. al. and S. Haddadin, "Introducing GARMI - A Service Robotics Platform to Support the Elderly at Home: Design Philosophy, System Overview and First Results," in IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 5857-5864, July 2021.
- McLennan, S., Fiske, A., Celi, L., Müller, R., Harder, J.,Ritt, K., Haddadin, S., Buyx, A. (2020): An embedded ethics approach for AI development. Nature Machine Intelligence 2 (7), 488-490.
- Haddadin, S., Johannsmeier, L., & Ledezma, F. D. (2018): Tactile robots as a central embodiment of the Tactile Internet. Proceedings of the IEEE, 107(2), 471-487.
- Haddadin, S., Krieger, K., Albu-Schäffer, A., & Lilge, T. (2018): Exploiting elastic energy storage for “blind” cyclic manipulation: Modeling, stability analysis, control, and experiments for dribbling. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 34(1), 91-112.
- Tomic T, Ott C, Haddadin S: "External Wrench Estimation, Collision Detection, and Reflex Reaction for Flying Robots". IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 2017; 33(6): 1467-1482.
- Haddadin S., De Luca A., Albu-Schäffer A. (2017): "Robot Collisions: A Survey on Detection, Isolation, and Identification". IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 33(6): 1292-1312.
- Haddadin S., Croft E. (2016) Physical Human–Robot Interaction. In: Siciliano B., Khatib O. (eds) Springer Handbook of Robotics. Springer Handbooks. Springer, Cham.
- Haddadin S. (2014): “Towards Safe Robots”. Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics 90“, Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Haddadin S, Haddadin S, Khoury A, Rokahr T, Parusel S, Burgkart R, Bicchi A, Albu-Schäffer. A (2012): "On making robots understand safety: Embedding injury knowledge into control". The International Journal of Robotics Research. 31(13): 1578–1602.
- Hochberg LR, Bacher D, Jarosiewicz B, Masse NY, Simeral JD, Vogel J, Haddadin S, Liu J, Cash SS, van der Smagt P, et al (2012): "Reach and grasp by people with tetraplegia using a neurally controlled robotic arm". Nature 485: 372–375.
- Yang, C., Ganesh, G., Haddadin, S., Parusel, S., Albu-Schaeffer, A., & Burdet, E. (2011). Human-like adaptation of force and impedance in stable and unstable interactions. IEEE transactions on robotics, 27(5), 918-930.
- Haddadin, S, Albu-Schäffer A, Hirzinger G (2009): "G. Requirements for safe robots: Measurements, analysis and new insights". The International Journal of Robotics Research. 28(11-12): 1507-1527.